Gosport Discovery Centre are looking for Summer Reading Challenge Volunteers for 2019 to support the Summer Reading Challenge during the summer holidays. In partnership with the charity, The Reading Agency the aim of the challenge is to get children to read any six books of their choice from their library during the summer holidays. It is designed for children aged 4-11 with the aim to keep them reading during the school holidays.
Would you like to help us run our Summer Reading Challenge? It's a fun and easy way to get involved with your community!
If you're aged 14 or over and think you might enjoy encouraging children to read over the summer - this could be for you.
You will talking to children about the books that they have read in line with guidelines given and updating the number of books that they have read.
Volunteers will also give out Summer Reading Challenge materials to children taking part and directing any enquiries to a member of staff as appropriate.
Volunteers would be needed for a minimum of 2 hours a week between any times between 10am-6pm. Training will be provided in June for a July start.
Following the Reading Challenge event, we will continue to need some volunteers to help children with reading skills as this is an on-going need.
- Someone who is enthusiastic about reading.
- Someone who has good interpersonal skills enabling you to talk and listen to young children in a friendly and patient way.
- Ability to communicate with all sections and age groups of the public.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to assess a situation and pass on to a member of staff as appropriate.
- Some experience of using basic IT systems (e.g. to operate a simple electronic database).
- Able to remain calm at busy times but cope when things are quieter.
- Any previous experience of working with children in a library, school, pre-school or other groups for children would be an advantage.Register your interest
You will be redirected to the Gosport Voluntary Action website
Between these dates: 01/06/2019 - 30/09/2019
On these days: