In December 2018, this opportunity is available in the following libraries:
Basildon, Billericay, Braintree, Brightlingsea, Clacton, Great Tarpots, Harwich, Kelvedon, Maldon, Manningtree, Mark Hall, North Melbourne, Old Harlow, Pitsea, Rayleigh, Saffron Walden, South Woodham Ferrers, West Clacton, Wickford, Wickham Bishops and Witham.
What is the role about?
These fun-packed rhyme and story sessions take place in libraries during school term-times. Everyone joins in with singing rhymes and doing the actions, and afterwards families stay to chat, join the library and to choose books to take home.
As a volunteer at baby and toddler rhyme times, you will deliver rhyme sessions, and support the development of children by sharing your enjoyment of books and rhymes.
What will it involve?
• Preparing the children's library for the session - putting out chairs and selecting stories and rhymes
• Meeting and greeting the parents/carers and children and making everyone feel welcome
• Encouraging parents to join in with their child
• Joining in or delivering the session and building a good rapport with the group
• Chatting with families about the benefits of early book sharing and the importance of talking and singing rhymes with their children
• Directing specific enquiries to library staff
• Clearing the area once the session ends
What will you get from volunteering?
• Pleasure from showing parents how singing rhymes and sharing books can be a fun activity that they can repeat at home
• Opportunity to help families learn rhymes and songs together to support children's speech, language and communication skills
• Meeting people and making new friends
• Satisfaction of using your skills and experience to support families in the community
[*A similar opportunity is available as 'Daddy Cool' in some libraries on a Saturday. Please ask on applying.]
• Warmth and friendliness
• Able to relate to children and their families
• Practical and 'hands on'
• Able to work on own initiative
• Comfortable singing in public (but no voice skills needed)
• Enthusiasm to promote sharing books and reading with families
• An enthusiasm for libraries and awareness of the range of services offeredRegister your interest
You will be redirected to the Volunteer Essex website
Between these dates: 31/08/2016 - 05/11/2019
On these days:
This opportunity is available countywide.