In August 2019, this opportunity is available in the following libraries:
Basildon, Burnham-on-Crouch, Chelmsford, Clacton, Coggeshall, Colchester, Fryerns, Great Parndon, Hadleigh, Harwich, Manningtree, Maldon, Mark Hall, North Melbourne, Old Harlow, Rayleigh, Saffron Walden, Stanstead, Tye Green and Wickford.
What is the role about?
These fun-packed rhyme and story sessions take place in libraries during school term-times. Everyone joins in with singing rhymes and doing the actions, and afterwards families stay to chat, join the library and to choose books to take home.
As a volunteer at baby and toddler rhyme times, you will deliver rhyme sessions, and support the development of children by sharing your enjoyment of books and rhymes.
What will it involve?
• Preparing the children's library for the session - putting out chairs and selecting stories and rhymes
• Meeting and greeting the parents/carers and children and making everyone feel welcome
• Encouraging parents to join in with their child
• Joining in or delivering the session and building a good rapport with the group
• Chatting with families about the benefits of early book sharing and the importance of talking and singing rhymes with their children
• Directing specific enquiries to library staff
• Clearing the area once the session ends
What will you get from volunteering?
• Pleasure from showing parents how singing rhymes and sharing books can be a fun activity that they can repeat at home
• Opportunity to help families learn rhymes and songs together to support children's speech, language and communication skills
• Meeting people and making new friends
• Satisfaction of using your skills and experience to support families in the community
[*A similar opportunity is available as 'Daddy Cool' in some libraries on a Saturday. Please ask on applying.]
• Warmth and friendliness
• Able to relate to children and their families
• Practical and 'hands on'
• Able to work on own initiative
• Comfortable singing in public (but no voice skills needed)
• Enthusiasm to promote sharing books and reading with families
• An enthusiasm for libraries and awareness of the range of services offeredRegister your interest
You will be redirected to the Volunteer Essex website
Between these dates: 31/08/2016 - 05/11/2020
On these days:
Basildon Billericay and Wickford
Rayleigh and Rochford