In March 2019, volunteers are needed at these libraries:
Chelmsford, Clacton, Coggeshall, Kelvedon, Maldon, Rochford, Saffron Walden
What is the role about?
To visit customers in their own homes, sheltered housing or in care homes who are unable to get to their local library and enable them to continue to enjoy library services and reading.
What will it involve?
• visiting customers once a month, alone or with another volunteer, delivering a selection of books, audio books, DVDs and information
• selecting books and other library materials for customers
• promoting choice by sharing information on books and discussing reading choices
• sharing information on other relevant services in the community
• where appropriate acting as a link for care home residents and staff to the library and the community and supporting activities and interests at care homes.
What will you get from volunteering?
• satisfaction of sharing your reading enthusiasm with others
• opportunity to help people who are isolated, support them to live at home and keep them in touch with their local community
• meeting people and making new friends
• satisfaction of using your skills and experience to give something to the community
• an interest in people
• enthusiasm for books and reading
• good communication and people skills
• able to work on own initiative
• ability to carry moderate amounts of books and other library materials
• a practical and patient nature
• access to a car and a full driving licence desirable though there are opportunities for volunteers to get involved and accompany another volunteer who drivesRegister your interest
You will be redirected to the Volunteer Essex website
Between these dates: 31/08/2016 - 05/12/2019
On these days:
This opportunity is available countywide.
Barnardo's Children's Centre (Colchester)