In August 2019 Activity Supporters are required in the following libraries:
Braintree, Chipping Ongar, Clacton, Manningtree, Thaxted (Block Builders Club) and Wickford (Chess Club)
Libraries run many occasional or regular events for which we need additional help. Events for adults may help to reduce loneliness and improve wellbeing. Activities for children aim to get them enthused about books. Contact your local library to find what specific activities they need help with and which you are comfortable supporting. You may have a particular skill or interest you could offer.
In July 2019, Event Volunteers are required for the following libraries:
Braintree, Clacton, Coggeshall, Colchester, Great Parndon and Tye Green
Events and activities may include:
• coffee mornings and tea afternoons
• craft activities for children or adults
• games such as chess or scrabble
• other social activities
What will it involve?
• preparing the library for the appropriate session - e.g. arranging furniture, setting out cups, saucers and biscuits, setting out craft materials
• meeting and greeting the participants, making everyone feel welcome
• making and serving tea and coffee when provided
• chatting to the attendees, ensuring the atmosphere is friendly, relaxed and all-inclusive
• explaining and supervising craft and other practical activities
• promoting library services
• directing specific enquiries to library staff
• clearing the area once the session ends, returning furniture as required
What will you get from volunteering?
• meeting people and making new friends
• the opportunity to engage with people who may feel isolated, vulnerable or lonely and keep them in touch with their local community
• the chance to promote reading
• satisfaction in using your skills, experience and interests to give something to the community
• The chance to develop your experience and skills to enhance your CV
• warmth and friendliness
• willingness to meet new people
• ability to interact with people of all ages
• practical and 'hands on'
• a good team worker, able to work with library staff and other volunteers.
• an enthusiasm for libraries and awareness of the range of services offeredRegister your interest
You will be redirected to the Volunteer Essex website
Between these dates: 31/08/2016 - 05/11/2020
On these days:
This opportunity is available countywide.