Are you looking for a flexible and rewarding volunteer experience?
Could you be a role model for one of our young people?
IntoUniversity is seeking current students from the University of Sussex to mentor a primary or secondary student to help them fulfil their potential.
The IntoUniversity Mentoring Scheme matches a young person (aged 10-17) with a university student, giving them the opportunity to receive tailored, one-to-one support for their academic attainment, social skills and future planning. The scheme has been awarded Approved Provider status by the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation – a mark of best practice.
What does being a Mentor involve?
- Meeting with your mentee for at least five one-hour long sessions before the end of the academic year
- Working with IntoUniversity staff to plan mentoring sessions to help your mentee achieve their goals
- Activities might include helping with homework, researching future options, and cooking.
- Group social events throughout the year including a graduation at the University of Sussex at the end of the year!
- The mentoring scheme is a really fantastic opportunity to have a long-term positive impact on one of our students.
- Off-site trips.
What can you expect from us?
- Full training in advance of beginning your role
- Ongoing support from IntoUniversity staff
- The opportunity to develop valuable new skills and experience
- Recognition through the IntoUniversity accreditation scheme
To find out more about mentoring please watch our video https://youtu.be/WKyHIB8AyFs
To apply for the mentoring scheme visit http://intouniversity.org/apply
IntoUniversity staff will carefully match you with a mentee based on personality, shared interest, and gender.
The Mentoring Scheme is open to current students from the University of Sussex.
Individuals who have graduated within the last year from the University of Sussex may also apply.
This role would suit someone who has:
- Good communication skills
- An approachable and friendly character
- The ability to inspire and motivate young people
- A passion for supporting disadvantaged young people
- The ability to build a relationship with a young person.
No experience needed as full training provided.
You will be redirected to the Community Works website
Between these dates: 29/06/2018 - 21/06/2019
On these days:
St Andrew's Church Hall
Writing Our Legacy